What's New at the COMPUTEREASE Site
This page documents what was changed on the site. It is here
for your convenience and easy viewing. Everything is listed
in reverse date order.
Initially, like any good programmer, I kept a log of changes
inside each web page. I'm concerned however that this makes
the page itself larger and consequently lengthens the
time it takes to download to a web browser. I'm gradually moving
all the modification history information out of each page
into this list...
If there are things you do not like now, let me know. If there are things
you think should be changed, electronically holler.
10 August 96
- Add Russ Frame's java counter to PSION (other) and Computer Ease (history) pages.
5 August 96
- Change Beatrice's telephone numbers in courseware page.
- Fix spelling mistake in clients page (formerly).
- Reflect change in a client's name.
- Add new clients.
- Add new e-mail addresses for clients.
- Update Alan's e-mail address in resource page.
- Create links to Avalon from resource page for Donna and Beth.
- Fix links in availability page that were without full path.
3 August 96
- Oops, haven't added to this list lately... Then again, little has changed
structurally. Tiny edits, fixes, keeping data up to date.
- Biggest changes: slow duplication of pages for low and high bandwidth.
- Cleaned up ALT= descriptions. Made sure all were present and appropriate.
21 March 96
- Re-save cat images in interlaced format.
- Remove slash after IMG SRC file name reference to repair broken image problem
(thanks to Jedi Master Randy).
- Correct spelling of edema in cats page.
13 March 96
- Add Notes 4.0 (including Mail) to course materials and courses offered pages.
28 February 96
- Further fiddling with alignment (without tables) in main CE page. I placed the
<BR CLEAR=ALL> right in front of section to better control current section.
- Reduce colour depth in almost all GIFs to 16 to improve readability on 16 colour screens.
- Convert the blue sidebar JPEG to a GIF and make the background transparent
so to get rid of the random dithering at high resolutions. Much cleaner!
- Fixed date in webers pub night: correct in subpage but wrong in main CE page.
- Reactivate a CTN page in CE directory that I deleted, make it refer to new location.
- Reactivate a PSION page in CE directory that I deleted, make it refer to new location.
22 February 96
- Add new WEBster pub night info.
- Put the pub night stuff in a separate directory.
- Change the title of the first pub night document.
- Create a pub night attendees list with form.
16 February 96
- Note BMA acknowledges listing in clients page.
12 February 96
- Include date PST number was registered.
- Twiddle with main CE page, improve graphics alignment.
- Add new scanned signature to bw main page.
- Include exact dates when Computer Ease name was registered in Ontario.
5 February 96
- Add ALT code to clear GIFs and side bar text.
- After testing at CBC in 16 colours on standard VGA, fiddle with VSPACE= option of
IMG code and BRs to improve layout.
- Try a GIF (89a, transparent) for main logo, PSION page too.
2 February 96
- Change Lynn Swanson's e-mail id in CTN page.
- Put PSION net resources on a separate linked page.
- Add Adam's PSION testimonial.
- Add a bunch of new PSION web and ftp links.
30 January 96
- Ware of the month reappears in the computer levity page.
- Add HSC (Sick Kids) client and their e-mails.
- Note PTG and Solcorp client approvals.
- Add Beatrice's and Darren's PSION testimonials.
- Fix Darren's e-mail address link in resource page.
29 January 96
- Indicate CompuServe membership is $10 U.S. in PSION web page.
- Make file links in PSION page refer to ftp site...
- Add a new PSION web site link.
- Create a PSION testimonials page.
- Couple of new PSION wish list items.
- Implement a PSION subdirectory 'cause it's getting too jumbled... Course,
this means I have to change every link from CE buttons. Change link in
courses taught, resources, support platforms.
- Tidy up the availability page.
- Update mailto link for Beezix in courseware page. Add Inc.
- Change link in resource page to Darren's preferred e-mail address, PowerWindows.
- Reorg and shorten supported platforms.
- Add PSION link from services page.
- Add missing semicolon to NBSP code in button bar in all CE pages.
- Rename main PSION page, index.html. Therefore change all links. Again.
- Try using the new GIF Beth sent me, reduced, saved to JPEG. Thanks. Now you
get to be in the colophon!
- Make PSION text equivalents a bit easier to spawn from graphic intense.
- Add Spike's new e-mail address in clients.
28 January 96
- Redesign main CE page with side bar, rotated text, etc.
- Add Hilary Inwood's comment re. blake's world.
27 January 96
- Fix spelling mistake in dark half.
- Change to Alan Hahn's new preferred e-mail.
- Add a quick little thought at bottom of free tip page.
- Add a few new tricks in the sample HTML page.
- Note lastest and upcoming PSION meetings.
- Add info about Tabatha Holtz's HTML coders pub night.
19 January 96
- Note Connectix QuickCam in colophons, used for graphics.
- Test ftp as opposed to http links for Star Trek files.
- Add a quick little thought at bottom of free tip page.
- Update links for Tabatha's web site at Medius in colophons and sites pages.
- List tested browsers, platforms, versions in colophons.
- Add some more countries to comment form.
- Add PSION wish list with form.
- Make text versions of PSION pages. The textured background is very
intense when running in 16 colours. Rather than change BASEFONT...
Also strip out large graphics.
15 January 96
- The cats are on the web! Tigger, Soccer, and Nancy. See photos inside blake's world.
- Reorg interests so cats have a separate web page.
- Add a photo and bio for Blake, off main bw page.
9 January 96
- Finally! Add prices of PsiWin.
- Link to Beezix web site in Resources page.
- Next PSION users meeting noted.
- Add a few PSION peripheral prices.
1 January 96
- Relocate all icons, GIFs, and JPEGs into images directory,
except for buttons in bw toolbar.
- Ditch more under construction icons.
- Mention new cats Nancy and Soccer in bw.
- Update wants list in bw after Christmas and Ikea shopping binge.
- Note use of LView Pro and new platform in colophons.
- Tone down background in Sample page, too hard to read text.
28 December 95
- Add transparent GIF icon buttons to bottom of blake's world pages.
- Add a new thing I despise in blake's world.
- Begin relocating icons & images into new images directory.
- Apply transparency (using LView Pro 32) to a number of GIFs.
- Link to a general comment form from main CE page; remove
general stuff from training form.
21 December 95
- Fix missing delimiter in mod history area of What's Soon page.
- Add ALT to images in main CE page! Thought I had done that...
- Add mailbox icon to main CE page, near e-mail addresses.
20 December 95
- Fix a funny alignment problems in CTN page when using Windows 95 Internet
Explorer (first version). Missing a </DL> code. Add some missing
<UL> and </UL> codes. Netscape is too forgiving.
- Put my Christmas and birthday wish lists on-line, separate page off blake's world home page.
18 December 95
- Take out one of the non-breaking spaces between buttons on all pages.
- Add a MAILTO to for Gary Buss of client BMA.
16 December 95
- Change ware-of-the-month.
- Hide border around buttons!
- Remove link to blake's world (at the top of CE main page).
- Remove under construction icon from CE main page.
- Clean up INDEX.HTML after Windows Notepad ('95 version!) did weird
file-cause-you-don't-really-need-them shit again.
9 December 95
- Take out new icons from main page, particularly from within PRE table.
7 December 95
- Add new resellers for PSION.
- Update PSION Canada address.
- Mention the release of Microsoft and Symantec products for PSION.
- Add link to New World Technologies, a PSION distributor in NYC.
- Add exciting new products to PSION page, like 8MB flash card!
30 November 95
- Add a bookmark to form in Availability page.
- Begin removing under construction icon from pages.
- Tidy up Services page.
26 November 95
- Lengthening opening paragraph in this file to push rule down.
- Transfer CE home page and clients modification history info to this file.
- Add Jim Paterson's training company to client list.
- Reformat this list to use an Unordered List style as opposed to Drop List.
The drop list was tough to read when there was a long point. Also
use Heading style 4 for date heading.
25 November 95
- Describe how to interpret colours in PSION page.
- Make company name a link in opening paragraph of PSION page.
- Make company link use formal site name in case it was captured wrong.
22 November 95
- Update calendar.
- Modify availability page to emphasize it is my, Blake's, availability.
- Remove old notes about previous format of availability calendar.
- Add Simone's e-mail address on CTN page.
- Remove some offerings from courses taught list...
20 November 95
- Link to PSION site, upon Alasdair Manson's (Technical Manager, Psion Inc.) request.
- Begin changing <TITLE>s in pages, remove "web page", reword. Completed.
- Clarify yearly update rights in PSION page.
- Emphasize the CompuServe PALMTOP A forum for PSION support.
- Add a Web link to CompuServe in PSION page.
- Document Compulys Montreal and Toronto info, PSION in Boston and U.K.
- Move a little to-do list inside PSION page to coming soon page.
- Update other sites list.
19 November 95
- Fix quotes around cyberphobia on main page, using proper codes.
- Fix minor spacing problem on main page after coming soon.
- Make minor changes in main page for improved layout on Mac, Netscape 1.1N.
- Apply a funky background in PSION page, looks like case of a PSION...
- Fix headings in price lists in PSION page, misalignment of text when
using <STRONG> codes in PREformatted lists. Looks fine in
Netscape 1.2 under Windows 3.1 in standard VGA but is screwed in
OS/2 and Netscape 1.1N under Mac OS 7.5.
17 November 95
- Note that tips are "free" in the PSION page.
- Link to training request form from courses offered and availability pages.
- Upload training request form using MAILTO action and POST method.
- Insert a line break in CE page in HTML 2.0 friendly bit.
14 November 95
- Make a Free Tip page!
- Make a Coming Soon list.
- Put a NEW icon on main CE page.
- Warn people that the What's New page is huge.
- Add Bill Buxton, Globe & Mail quote to main CE page. Nope, yank it.
- Include a ware of the month on main CE page.
- Change CE index page, state we are trying to not use 3.0 code, a friendly site!
- Place a text-only button bar across top of main CE page.
- Note the tested and working e-mail links in CTN page.
- Remove STRONG to see what's messing with d-o-w headings alignment drifting.
- Fix ALT for CE logo from asterisk in Training Availability page.
12 November 95
- Indicate what to do if using a Mac to view a link in PSION page.
- Add Lynn's e-mail address, fix Ginty's on CTN page.
- Fill a few upcoming meeting topics on CTN page.
- Add references to helpers of CTN page.
11 November 95
- Exclude politicians in CE and BW main pages.
- Having reduced size of Canadian flag GIF, remove IMG SRC scaling.
- Replace ampersands, accents, and double quotes with appropriate codes.
- Fix accent in Erom client name.
- Update some e-mail addresses in CTN page.
- Add tip-of-the-hat (and link) to Happy page in colophons.
- Replace all italic and bold codes with EM and STRONG respectively.
- Reinstate the CHALK background on all CE pages, it's not tinted, whiter.
- Add Beezix's Windows Courseware titles.
- Thank Pierre in both colophons for telling people to add a bookmark.
- Add graphics to CTN page, one with text at top, one without text at bottom.
- Change to Beez's preferred e-mail address in Resources.
- Comment out CE logo at bottom of main page until better scan,
also AirMosaic renders it too big, doesn't support image scaling
- Minor cosmetic changes in Services page.
- Fix errors in programming languages section in Services page.
- Apply minor cosmetic changes, add new links, and add a bit more text
to binthere page.
30 October 95
- Include Canadian flag and political statement on CE and BW pages. I like PQ.
- Add a quick note that Windows titles will be added soon to Beezix's
- Enter Quattro Pro version in Courses taught.
- Remove prices from Beez's Courseware.
- Add a quick note that Windows Courseware titles will be added soon.
24 October 95
- Change telephone number on CTN page.
- Add dashes between sections (as comments) to improve readability inside Sample HTML.
- Update with new info, links, etc. in Sample.
- Replace all BOLD and ITALIC with STRONG and EM codes, show less than and greater than symbols; replace ampersands
22 October 95
- Fix partial link to a full link for .ZIP file in PSION page.
- Change bolds to STRONGs in PSION page.
21 October 95
- Reinstate full path for HREFs to other sub-pages. Weird...
- Tell users to add a bookmark for CE and BW pages. Thanks, Pierre!
- Fix grammar error in Joe's section of Resource page.
- Fix layout error in Sample page.
- Updated Availability.
- Add CompuServe file list (a .ZIP) from PSION library; misc cleanup.
- Tell people the PSION tip files are small by including file sizes.
- Update a few prices in PSION accessories list.
- Tweak prices PRE table, improve readability.
- Add complete listing of Beezix's Courseware.
- Add my first home-brew beer name to new words in blake's world.
14 October 95
- Add button to blake's world on main CE page.
- Fix spelling mistake in Allan Park's name. Sorry 'bout that, afp.
- Note in colophons how I generated images in pages, Paint Shop and Paintbrush.
- Add button bar to bottom of every CE page.
- Remove TABLE codes and use PRE instead to improve readability
with other types of browsers. AirMosaic, Lynx don't support tables.
CE main page, Courses Offered.
- Tidy up areas in CE main page that use ADDRESS code.
- Remove full path from image links in various pages. See below...
- Break up PSION accessories list into sections.
- Reorganize the availability page so calendar is near top.
- Remove PIMs for Courses Offered.
- Add ALT codes to all images.
- Resolve GIF name conflict by renaming blake's world to space.
- REINSTATE FULL PATH TO IMAGES AND BACKGROUND! Here's
the deal: a slash is needed at the end of an anchor to
properly preserve the Computer Ease site name. If the full
path for images and backgrounds is not supplied, the images
will not be found. Fine. When the path is included, everything
works fine when on-line; however, when I test pages locally,
the images are not found! Unresolved...
- Apply MARBLE4 background to all CE pages. White and black. Bit busy... Testing...
11 October 95
- Remove full path from images and background in CE main and sample page.
- Decrease width from 65 for small CE image at bottom of main page.
- Okay, okay, I changed the background of CE's home from the greenish SAND.
- Add DIR and MENU to Sample page.
- Note in Samples that GIFs work as backgrounds too.
- Change availability to show days I am free as opposed to not available.
- Add ALT to images in Samples page.
9 October 95
- Activate a button bar at bottom of CE main page. A test.
- Remove full paths from HREFs and IMGs on CE main page. Now it works!
- Add Mary Ciufo's e-mail to Client list.
- Note that PSIONs are now available for rent!
- Added a warning on main CE page of graphics in Levity.
- Fix minor typos throughout. A goofy one in Courseware page... remove Project level 1 from available soon.
- Change word "reliable," to "a backup" in e-mail addresses of main CE page.
- Tidy up HREFs in Clients page, trivial addition in Levity page.
- Changed wording slightly in Training Availability and History pages.
8 October 95
- Add ordered lists to sample page.
- Note DIR and MENU commands being similar to UL, in sample page.
- Noted use of Graham's HTML Sourcebook in colophons.
- Add new rule of thumb: keep TITLE element short and sweet.
2 October 95
- Change background to CHALK on other sites page, too blue.
1 October 95
- Make image at bottom of main CE page smaller still.
- Dramatically revised availability (more correctly, unavailability).
- Test new backgrounds on main CE page:
CHALK seems a little dull
BUMPS2 is a little blue and little bit busy
SAND looks interesting
- Tidy other sites page.
- Move under construction image down a little in binthere page.
29 September 95
- Add (finally) my comic of the "moose-pointing" device in Levity page.
- Pad opening paragraph in Levity page to improve layout.
- Make reference to the Globe & Mail Style Book (1990).
- Okay, okay, I added (upon request) a "favourites" site list.
- Make PSION newsletters available on-line for viewing or downloading.
- Remove CRS e-mail address from main CE page as I'm dropping the service.
- Make links to ASCII tip files in PSION page.
28 September 95
- Made a note on CE main page opening paragraph that CE is based in Toronto.
- Noted that HTML 3.0 code is used on CE main page, and
in both colophons. All the tables...
- Add definition of "colophon" in both colophons.
- Reformat BW interests into a drop-list.
- Fix bookmark in all pages.
19 September 95
- Completed "availability" page. Using table format (to be tested).
- Touched up "sample" page.
- Add an as-of date on Training Availability page.
- Add rule "last revised" to list in Samples page.
17 September 95
- Fix a bookmark link, in main CE page.
16 September 95
- Well, if you use a / at the end of link references, your
graphical references (using partial paths) get all messed up. Fixed
IMG SRC statements EVERYWHERE to include full path, eg. /ce/picture.gif.
- Make all links within my pages use full path too.
- Also, this / business does not apply to bookmarks.
- Try an interesting background behind CE pages (to be tested).
- Update Courseware page:
change MS Project 4.0 level 1 to now available;
add future products Project 7, 4 for the Mac, Win95.
- Fix busted link to PIMS in Courses Offered page.
- Fix bookmarks and misc other little things in PSION page.
- Fix typo in computer trainer's network in Resource page.
- Fix up some minor things in images section of Samples page.
- Add a PSION link from Courses Offered page.
15 September 95
- Upon -the-wire- staffer Kevin's suggestion, add a
final "/" to end of EVERY link to resolve aliasing quirk;
visitors will not be hit with "the-wire.com" server name.
- Provide more info about e-mail addresses, which is preferred, etc.
- Try a smaller image at the bottom of the page (to be tested).
- Make all blake's world pages use funky background and colours.
- Change case of Blake's World upon Kate's suggestion to lower.
- Make a link to blake's world from Levity page.
- Add a top bookmark to every page.
- Couple of new words added.
- Update blake's world GIF: lowercase and make planet a
little bit bigger and brighter.
- Try implementing Computer Ease availability info in a table.
- Do some minor editing in Availability page.
- Begin implementing calendar in a TABLE.
- Remind people of WordPerfect 5.1 wrt HTML, in Services page.
- In Colophon for CE, bash MS for screwing up Word with the IA.
14 September 95
- Add the What's New page.
- Add a FTP download to sample HTML page (to be tested).
- Correct reference to JPG used in sample HTML page; it's not LUMPS.JPG.
- Further enhance Sample HTML page, including new rules of thumb,
a bit more info on tables, more helpful code information, some blinking text,
and RULES between each section for clarity.
- Add link in my Sample HTML page to an on-line colour index page
and MIT backgrounds.
- Change colour codes in body of Blake's World main page.
- Create GIF graphic for Blake's World main page.
- Remove things-to-do-list inside CE & BW main pages, put in my PSION.
12 September 95
- Add some graphics to PSION page.
- Get info for PSION USENET sites.
- Note I have PSION newsletters that I can e-mail to you.
- Add a bee beside Beezix Resource.
11 September 95
- Establish links to PSION page from Resource and Platforms pages.
- Note who are PSION-heads.
- In Sample page, do a bunch of things:
remove spaces infront of UL items, leave a note;
show samples of heading styles;
display some colourful bullets;
add lots of other things, everything I've discovered so far;
add an interesting dark background; and
switch to a red bullet GIF.
- Thank MIT for jpg backgrounds.
10 September 95
- Fix typos in History page spotted by Jet boy.
- Indicate that Resource Darren doesn't want to do programming.
- Add thanks in CE Colophon to Jet for editing.
8 September 95
- Make HREF in main CE page to Blake go directly to him, via a bookmark.
- Create bookmarks for all Resources.
- Note Resources that are CTN members and link to CTN page.
- Add link to Gutenberg client's web page.
- Add e-mail address for Brinda, a training client.
- Emphasize programming subheadings in Services page.
- Complete list of all products I teach on in Courses page, settle format.
- Embed in bookmarks for quick index at the top of Courses page, with
bookmark to quickly get back to top of page.
- Add some more inspiring links, and links to HTML sites and my Sample page
in the CE colophon.
- Fix typos in Platforms
4 September 95
- In the Resource page, change path and filename to Blake's World.
31 August 95
- Fix spelling of computer levity, in main CE page. Thanks Alan! He gets a link.
- Fix little typos.
- Include an explanation of the asterisk in Clients and Resource pages.
- Add mailto links to clients Gary and Margaret.
- Refer to editors Beez and Alan in CE colophon.
- Add links to -the-wire-, other sites in CE colophon.
30 August 95
- Change name of CE home page document to index.html (an HTTP default).
Change all links pointing back to home page.
- Make all file references from main CE page use extension ".html."
- Change preferred e-mail address, in main CE page.
- Tell people the Training Availability is not quite ready yet...
- Thank -the-wire- for their assistance in CE colophon.
- List the tools I used in CE colophon.
- Include domain name registration date in History page.
- Make reference to new e-mail addresses in Resource page.
- Note Resource Lisa, Joe, and Cam's approvals.
- Build another courseware link from Resource page.
- Make a number of changes in the Courseware page:
make reference to books and cards;
include mention of the new Project Rules of Thumb; and
let people to e-mail Beez directly with a MAILTO.
23 August 95
- Change wording "staff" to "resources."
- Add new row in Info table for Clients page, in main CE page.
- Add mission statement to main CE page.
- Adjust "welcome to" so C and E are larger and Ease is italic.
- Change "welcome to" to H2 instead of H1 to get +3 to work.
- Adjust body text so C and E are larger and Ease is italic.
- Apply FONT SIZE commands to ComputerEase in all pages.
- Include asterisk (*) beside each Client to remind myself of approvals.
- Do same thing in Resource page.
- Add new services, clean up stuff.
- Minor touch ups in history & numbers page.
- Establish link to Blake's World from Resource page.
- Consolidate info from paper brochure to fluff up Resource Blake, Clients, Services.
- Experiment with tables, layout, borders, etc. in Courses Offered page.
- Add the odd additional Platform.
22 August 95
- Include Under Construction icon on all pages.
- Note Availability changes daily, in main CE page.
- Rearrange TITLE text slightly in many pages.
- Change Alan's e-mail address in Resource page, use brief form.
21 August 95
- Add TITLE tag from title bar display in all pages.
- Include a modification history in all pages.
- Use TABLE to reorg main topics, instead of tabs, in main CE page.
- Put under construction logo on CE home page.
- Add Lisa Tunney to Resource list.
Last updated: see above
~end of page~